Bow Making Basics
Making your first Self Bow
Undeniably one of the most esteemed skills in the world of self reliance is the ability to make and use a Bow and Arrow. Making a bow that can propel a sharp object once greatly improved one's ability to protect and provide for themselves. It's a bridge from merely surviving to thriving. The ability to successfully produce a bow is one more building block in the creation of a self sufficient and confident individual.
During your Beginner Bowyer class, we'll cover some basic skills and techniques then you'll spend the day carving, rasping, and sanding your bow from a raw stave of material wild crafted from the local landscape.
Come with nothing, leave with a viable bow and the skills and knowledge to continue in your bow making journey.*see note below in red for details.
- Learn how to inspect bow staves and select one to begin your bow making process.
- Learn and practice primitive wood working techniques such as batoning, carving, rasping and sanding with hand tools and primitive stone tools.
- Utilize these techniques to shape your stave into a usable bow.
- Check curve of your bow's limbs for consistency.
- Develop your archery skills with primitive and modern bows.
- If patient, diligent, and lucky, shoot your own bow.